When selling a property there are a number of documents that will need to be in order. As the seller you will need to gather the following yourself:

Proof of identity: you will need to show your solicitor a passport or driving licence and proof of address such as a utility bill or bank statement

Property title deeds: if you do not have these, then the solicitor you instructed when you bought your current property or your mortgage lender might. Your solicitor will also need to obtain official copies of your title deeds from the Land Registry

Fittings and contents form (TA10): this form clearly indicates what is included in the sale of the property. It’s broken down on a room by room basis, and includes items such as the fridge and shower curtain, for example. If relevant, it also covers any items in outdoor areas, such as greenhouses, sheds, trees and washing lines. A sample of this form can be downloaded below.

Property information form (TA6): as the seller, you will be required to complete this form. A sample of this form can be downloaded below. The questions included in the form relate to:

Boundaries: this will include the position of the boundaries and who is responsible for the upkeep of a fence or hedge

Disputes and complaints: this could include any ongoing disputes with neighbours

Notices and proposals: this will include any letters from neighbours, or local authorities regarding proposed development in the vicinity

terations, planning and building control: this will include any major building work that has been carried out on the property, such as an extension or new windows. It will also include the building’s listed status, if relevant

Guarantees and warrantees: this may be for the building itself, if it is very new, or may be related to the new roof, for example

Insurance: this will give the prospective buyer an understanding of how much it is likely to cost to insure the property and whether there are any anomalies

Environmental matters: among other things this covers any flooding risks, the presence of Japanese knotweed and also refers to the EPC

Rights and informal arrangements: among other things, this may include shared access and chancel repair

Parking: this will inform the prospective buyer as to whether or not there is off road parking, or a garage etc.

Other charges: this might include lease expenses for leasehold properties, and maintenance costs for blocks of flats or gated communities

Occupiers: this lets the prospective buyer know whether anyone is living in the property and will continue to do so after completion

Services: this relates to the condition of the central heating and electrical wiring, among other things

Connection to utilities and services: this section specifically refers to the suppliers of gas, electricity and water to the property and the location of the relevant meters

Transaction information: this should include whether, as a seller, you are also looking to buy another property. It will also include any special requirements around moving dates

Copies of documents referenced in the property information form, such as a Building Regulations sign off or FENSA certificates for replacement windows

Leasehold / shared freehold documents: if the property is leasehold then a copy of the lease will be required. If the property retains a share of the freehold then the relevant documents will be required, such as the Share Certificate if there has been a company set up to manage the freehold

Management Information Pack: this is obtained either by the seller or by the seller’s solicitor from the freeholder or managing agent, if the property is leasehold. The pack can take several weeks to arrive so it is vital it is paid for (by the seller) and ordered as early as possible in the selling process

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC): an EPC needs to be included when a property is sold. These certificates assess the property’s energy use and CO2 impact. If you do not have an EPC, your estate agent should be able to recommend a qualified assessor.

Although the above may seem to be rather daunting we at MCR Properties are here to help and ensure that the gathering of the information and submitting of the same is done as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

So give us a call and we will be happy to help, on 0161 425 0708.